When planning holidays or even a weekend trip, we also take care of our safety during our active rest. When you travel to Nepal, make sure that you have suitable insurance, which will also provide you with appropriate cover in the higher parts of the mountains. Although later on we rarely need to use our insurance, knowing that we have it makes use feel much more comfortable on holidays.
Take out travel insurance before travelling to Nepal. You can never know whether your luggage will be lost, stolen or damaged during your flight or whether you will get ill or have an accident during your journey. Thus, for your own safety, we strongly advise you to take out travel insurance. If you plan any outdoor activities during your holiday in Nepal, like trekking, climbing etc., it is most recommended to have special travel insurance which can help cover all medical expenses occurring in relation to high altitude mountain sickness or accidents and emergency evacuation costs. For trekking at heights above 3000 metres, in case of health problems or accident, it is necessary to have special tourist insurance. Such insurance will indemnify you against the potential risk of losses or damage and unexpected costs.
What should I check when choosing insurance?
- Check the amount of insurance cover (there are various options here);
- Check the duration of the insurance (e.g. PZU's Bezpieczny Powrót is valid for a single trip lasting not longer than 8 weeks, although it is taken out for one year).
- Check what costs the insurance covers, i.e.:
- Rescue and search costs (guaranteed amounts should be significantly high, as the cost of evacuation by a helicopter in Nepal may be as much as $ 10,000) When this option is not included in your insurance, you have to be ready to cover these costs from your own savings or assets.
- The cost of treatment, which includes daily hospital fees, every medical procedure and, as you probably know, these costs are rising really fast.
- Civil liability - it is worth paying attention to whether our insurance has a third party liability option.
- Transport costs are often also a huge sum of money, but good insurance does not limit the costs here.
Where can I buy mountain insurance?
It is worth using insurance comparison websites, and for example in Poland you can try ,, and . Nowadays you can buy the policy online as well as at any travel insurance outlet (ask at the insurance agencies in your city).
The two most interesting offers of mountain insurance can be found here:
- Alpenverein: https://www.alpenverein.pl/polska (probably the biggest downside is the need to process the claim in a foreign language, which may expose us to additional costs
- PZU: https://bezpiecznypowrot.pl/ (I personally prefer this insurance).
If necessary, we can help you choose your insurance. Just call us.?
If necessary, we will help you to contact the insurance agents whose services we use.